I realize that its been way too long since I last posted… a lot has happened since May 5th. These past 4 months (wow it really has been a long time!) have been a whirlwind! A whirlwind that I promise to post about with lots of pictures for all my 10 readers (if you guys are even still out there) soon.
But instead of writing about our summer vacations, new house, new car and new jobs… I thought that this series of posts would be a better way to get back into blogging mode.
I found out about a Radical Read-A-Long from one of my best friends. Before she even read the book she couldn’t stop talking about it. I decided that I needed to find out what this book was all about and join in on this read-a-long as a way to hold me accountable to finish the book.
So here we go…
Radical Read-A-Long - Chapter 1
Someone Worth Losing Everything For
In chapter 1 David Platt presents an interesting series of questions that we should ask ourselves about where we stand with Jesus…a series of questions that for me were hard to answer.
“Do we really believe he is worth abandoning everything for? Do you and I really believe that Jesus is so good, so satisfying, and so rewarding that we will leave all we have and all we own and all we are in order to find our fullness in him? Do you and I believe him enough to obey him and to follow him wherever he leads, even when the crowds in our culture – and maybe in our churches – turn the other way?”
Its easy for me to say “Yes, I believe he is worth abandoning everything for!” but when have I ever been truly tested by that statement? When have I ever truly been in a situation were one of my options was to abandon everything in the name of Jesus? I hesitate to say never because I think the real truth is that my heart hasn’t been open to a question like this. I am sure I have been presented with situations where I could have given it all up for Christ... but I didn’t… I chose not to listen. That’s the hard part for me. Truly opening my self up to hear what God has to say… to be still and know… that’s hard!
The last part of the chapter really resonated with me when Platt said -
“For the sake of more than a billion people today who have yet to even hear the gospel, I want to risk it all. The price of our non-discipleship is high for those without Christ. “
We take the message of Christ for granted. We grew up with it and grew up thinking that everyone else did too. But that’s not the case. We have a life saving message that we need to share with the world… and someone RADICAL needs to do it.
Any volunteers? I can’t say that I am ready to go pack my bags… but I do know that something is pulling at my heart… and I am excited to keep listening to what its trying to tell me.
I am really excited about this Radical Read-A-Long that Marla Taviano is doing. I have heard so much about this book and can’t wait to journey through it with all the other readers. I know I will learn so much about myself and my walk with Christ through this journey… my prayer is that my heart remains open to what God has in store for me and that I can commit to believe whatever is being said to me and commit to obey what I have heard.
If you would like to join in I don’t think its too late… Go check it out!!








7 comments:
so glad you are doing this with us! i've read so many good and thought provoking posts today. and yet i'm still hesitant. everything seems great and "radical" in theory...but how to put this into practice...
Im right there with you Mary! It sounds so great... and is pretty easy to write about... but to actually act on it... not quite sure?
It sounds a bit like the book Crazy Love...have you read it? It does make me want to move to another country almost. We are reading and studying it in Ladies Bible Class this semester. I want to be radical with my love for Christ, but it is hard to break out of this luke-warmness that I am ashamed to say I live in most days. Ugh...
new car! Fill us in! Is it a "family" car for lots of kids ;)
So true that we don't even understand what it truly means to have that question tested in our comfortable lives. Looking forward to this journey with you!
Any friend of Mary's is a friend of mine! So glad you're joining us, Dabney! I loved your post. And I love what Mary said too--everything's great and radical in theory, but how in the heck do we live it out?? Here's to finding some answers!
Glad I found your blog!! :-) It was so good seeing you this weekend!
Post a Comment